Sunday, February 08, 2009

First they came for the Jews

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

I think about this every time I read an opinion peice that suggests that the homeless/addicted/etc should not get the best possible services. That they have made a choice and need to deal with it themselves.

I think about it this way. If we restrict services to those whose "lifestyle" choices have caused them harm the next step is to restict services to those with heart disease, type 2 diabetes, most forms of cancer and perhaps all sports related injuries.

We all make poor choices, often before we fully realize the long term implications.

As a society, just how far are we going to go towards individual accountability?

Before you answer that, see if you can "pinch an inch". You might be the next to be on the recieving end of an opinion article saying you deserve what you get.

No comments: